Monday, February 15, 2016

Week 72 - SÃO JOSÉ DOS CAMPOS - February 15, 2016 - Batismo!

Hello one and all! It sounds like it was a wonderful week for the family and a very special Valentine's Day as well :)  

It is incredible how many tender mercies and miracles I have seen on my mission.  There has not been one day in a year and five months when the Lord has not blessed me and our work.  We have been teaching a mother and son this past week.  OK. They are so prepared, and they don't even know it.  B has had a rough past.  He stayed in a rehabilitation home (I don't remember what it is called in English) for a few months and HE IS A CHANGED MAN.  I have never seen so much light and desire to serve God in any other young man outside of the church.  Wow, he is so dedicated and loves to learn.  His mom, F, is so loving.  They get so excited when we go to teach them and we have had such dificulty marking their baptismal date because right when start to talk about baptism, they start serving the cake and juice they always make for us! WHAT?!  The enemy does not want them to be baptized.  But, it will be the first thing we do this week :)  They went to church yesterday!!  They arrived in their sunday best, and no one believed they were not members.  We will see if they will have enough faith to leave their own religions to know for themselves.  

Ok, everyone stay calm... C WAS BAPTIZED!!!!  I can not even explain how special it was.  Really it was perfect.  She is so anxious and so organized the she left her house at 5:40 to be baptized at 7.  I love her.  We got to the chapel and they were all sitting, Presidente Amauri's entire family, with his cute parents and our lovely C.  She was so happy and so calm.  We could tell she was nervous to go up in the front at sacrament meeting to be confirmed, but afterwards was so cute helping stack the chairs after the Relief Society lesson - already wanting to serve, already feeling the small and simple promptings of the Holy Ghost.  It has been an experience that I'll never forget, being able to be a part of her journey.  

We had exchanges with the sisters from Vila Ema this week.  I have learned a lot about how to serve with love and with my whole heart, might, mind and strength.  Truly when we lose our lives we find them in Christ.  Sister Tolentino and I (Remember I stayed with her in Mooca for a week?)  We spent a very HOT day together.  All of our apointments fell through, so we decided to leave a note for S... the investigator that maybe had cancer, remember her?  Well we have been trying to visit her, but she is always so busy and not really wanting to see us too.  When we got to the apartments, I felt like we needed to talk to her personally.  So, we called up and she let us in.  V, her step-son and C her husband were there!  There was a solemn feeling in the apartment as she told us that she really does have cancer, and had found out that very day.  The Lord loves her so much, because in the very moment she needs Him most, He always sends us to be by her side.  Maybe right now she won't accept the gospel, but I know the Lord is planning very special and important things for the future.  

Afterward we headed over to a member's home to help her clean her house.  OH MY.  Remember all the times I have had to clean-up after the elders?  I have never seen worse, I repeat, NEVER.  She is so depressed and lonely, taking care of two little boys.  Nevertheless, in our skirts, we rolled up our sleeves and went to work.  I will not go into details, but let's just say we found a rat hole with eaten up plastic bags with food and horrible things. I think she was very grateful because yesterday at church she said she'd be available Tuesday and Thursday for us to go back, haha.  

I love my Savior and I am grateful for this precious time I have to learn to be like Him.  The process of sanctification is not easy.  It requires a lot of spiritual focus and sacrifice, but there is a peace when knowing that we are doing His work, and He is working through us.  He is my perfect example, and each day for the rest of my life, I will try to be like Him.  I know that I will mess up many times, but with His patience and love one day I will be all that He wants me to be.  I love you all!  Have a great week!

Sister Cordner xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment