Monday, January 5, 2015

Week 14 - Suzano, Brazil - January 5, 2015



We spent New Year's Day at the Elder's investigators house.  They had a muito grande chuhasco para a gente.  They had so many types of trees filled with strange fruits that they were making me try!  It was so much fun! 


Feliz Ano Novo Família!!

Well this next year I will spend in Brasil, and I am willing and ready.  I am so excited to see what God has in store for me and my mission! Not excited though about what I am about to tell you.  A few nights ago, we were so tired because of the later than usual nights that we have been having.  I had just laid down in my bed and I was almost asleep, when I heard something fall right next to my head, probably in my hair and probably a cockroach.  I leaped up and ran to turn on the light.  To my horror it was not a cockroach but a big, brown, and creepy TARANTULA!! It had fallen on my pillow, and imagine if my face had been on the other side, it would have landed on my face!! I have the heebeegeebees just thinking about it!! A person's worst nightmare while sleeping and it happened to me!! haha. We brought Oliver the cat into our little cottage to kill the horrid thing, but it was no use.  We had to do it on our own.  Killing it would be too disgusting so I got a tupperware and captured it with all of the courage in my little heart.  Let us hope this never happens again.  

I have to say that one of the hardest parts about being a missionary is knowing that your investigators have felt the spirit, they have known the truth, and even had dreams and revelations, but they still choose to join and be baptized in another church.  A church that does not have the correct priesthood power and authority.  We testify with power, we teach with the authority of our missionary calling, and we even shed tears in front of the person, begging them to come into the fold of Christ.  Sometimes they still do not understand the importance of ONE FAITH, ONE GOD, and ONE BAPTISM.  This is key in the conversion of God's children.  I have only been a missionary here in Brasil for two months now, but already I cannot remember how many times I have taught the Restoration.  The Restoration is what sets our church apart from any other church.  Because there was an apostasy, and because Joseph Smith asked a simple question about which baptism was correct, we have the truth today.  Our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has the power and authority of God on this earth today.  Our baptism is the only baptism that will let us into the Kingdom of God.  As I walk down the little streets of Suzano on Sunday nights, the air is filled with the voices of many many people singing praises to our Heavenly Father.  Little chapels are filled to the brim with lost people that are trying their best to fill their emptiness inside with the word of God.  They are so close.  They are already good people with families and a lot of love.  All they need is the power and authority, the doctrine and the covenants.  It is our job as missionaries to show them the way.  To restore in their lives what they already had before they were born on this earth.  Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God.  Christ's church was restored on this earth in these last days. I know this to be true because I have read the Book of Mormon, the convincing evidence.  I am so grateful to be a missionary in this time, even in this time of confusion and evil.  He will gather His children from all four corners of the earth.  He is the beginning and the end.
I love you all, and I wish you all a wonderful week!  

Love, Sister Cordner

PS A man in our ward looks just like Papai Noel (Santa Claus) in fact, he is Santa at the mall near by.  haha right after sacrament meeting, right after the prayer, he came strutting in down the aisle in his santa suit!!


They were obsessed with learning how to french braid! It is so much fun to share cultures with the people here. Some people want to know everything about the American culture, and I want to know everything about theirs!












No comments:

Post a Comment