Monday, November 17, 2014

Week 7 - Suzano, Brazil - November 17, 2014

Green Suzano


My trainer - Sister Tillman from Texas


Bom Dia Familia!!

Oh where do I even begin?! This week has been the craziest of my life as you all have probably guessed!  I am pretty sure that the first days here I was in the depths of culture shock. haha. Brasil is one amazing crazy and beautiful place.  We were just so happy to finally get here!  My companion is amazing.  Her name is Sister Tillman from Texas.  She only has five weeks left here in Brasil, so in five weeks I'll be all alone here with a new trainer. I have to learn the ways so quickly! She is fluent in Portuguese and that is such a blessing for me. She is pretty much one of them. The Brazilians here have such a thick accent, and it is soooo hard to understand them.  I have to listen with all of my might!  I can usually understand about forty to fifty percent of the conversation.  By the end of the day, I just tune everything out because my brain is so fried!  Our area is Suzano and we are the only sisters here in our zone.  We are a ways out from the center of Sao Paulo, and it is so nice and green, so green!  You will be able to see in my pictures.  Our little home is so cute and it is in the back of the sweetest family's home, the Cardoso family.  They have a son that is seventeen years old, a fifteen year old son and a sweet little eleven year old girl. Oh I just love them so much.  The father reminds me of Uncle Richard mixed with dad haha. We eat breakfast with them every morning. and let me tell you, I just might be coming back as a big woman! Their main food groups here are meat, rice, beans, potatoes and soooo much bread.

Our cute little home



Right now we are working with about ten to fifteen investigators.  We are constantly running around to appointments and teaching about three to four lessons a day.  The work here in Brasil is really happening and the people here are so acceptive.  I am so grateful to be in such a fruitful area for my first area.  I feel so much love for the people we teach and for the members here that are incredible. Even though I can't communicate very well with them I feel so much of God's love for them.  They truly are a very special people.  Last Saturday night we went with a member named Diane that we are really great friends with.  She is twenty one and has a five year old daughter that loves me so much. The other day she was showing me all of the words that she knew in English. She got so excited and yelled BUTTERFLY!! It was pretty much the cutest thing that I have ever seen. She is obsessed with os esados unidos (the United States). The children here are the most beautiful children ever. Well anyways, we were going with Diane to her friend's house to teach him the gospel of Jesus Christ.  He has been wanting a change in his life.  His mother was there and wanted to listen as well. They were so acceptive and the spirit was so strong.  I shared my testimony about faith, and how I need to have faith that I can speak Portuguese, but I also need to open my mouth and speak. I need to act.  They accepted a goal to be baptized on the thirtieth and were very excited about our message.  Z, the mother came to church with us yesterday, D couldn't because he had his semi-finals in futbol, so we are hoping he lost so he can go next week! She loved church, and really wants to be baptized.  God is preparing His children to be taught the gospel.  He is preparing each one of His children in some way.  It is amazing to be a part of this work and to see little miracles every day.  We had four people come to church yesterday. It was amazing!  The assistants called last night and said that we had the best numbers in our whole zone! Wow! the Lord has blessed our area and it is amazing to see what sister missionaries can do.  We are truly given authority just like the elders are.  

Me and little Julia, who belongs to the family we live by.  She is so thoughtful and gives us foot massages sometimes.

Mom, I was reading the card that you sent me in your last package, and the scripture inside sunk deep into my soul.  I have never really had a favorite scripture, but I think this one will always be with me on my mission.  "And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face.  I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you to bear you up."  (D&C 84:88) This is exactly how I feel every day walking on the filthy roads, with ugly dogs scavenging all around and the sun beating down.  I have never felt so much joy in my heart than I have doing the Lord's work.  God lives and loves us. He sent His Son to die for us, and through Him is eternal life.  The true gospel has been restored through the prophet, Joseph Smith. and the Book of Mormon is the true word of God.  I love this gospel with all of my soul.

Love your humble servant,

Sister Cordner

Suzano, Brazil







No comments:

Post a Comment